The Milken Roar

Comments (6)

All The Milken Roar Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• T

Tif StudentMar 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I was very disappointed with Mr. Greene. I found him to be rude, judgmental, and condescending. I personally enjoy speaking in front of a crowd, especially about something I hold as dear to my heart as Israel, and was looking forward to be able to learn how to appropriately and efficiently defend the actions and beliefs of Israeli citizens. However, this is not what happened at all. Greene spent a good 45 minutes humiliating a student by making him stand in front of everyone else and repeat the same words over and over again until Greene was satisfied with every single inflection he used. In addition, Greene was very rude to the students, saying things like, “I feel very bad for your teachers.” While I am sure Greene can be a good speaker, he is clearly not fit to teach high schoolers.

Reply
  • D

dfsMar 28, 2012 at 2:15 am

is there a video of this somewehre?

Reply
  • S

StudentMar 23, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I will admit I came to this seminar rather grudgingly, as tifferet fellows were required to attend. Nevertheless, I hoped to get something, anything, out of it. Richard Greene was blatantly rude, often ignoring raised hands when audience members disagreed with his “solutions.” His defensive attitude did not instill me with confidence, and if he was so unwilling to listen to audience members I wonder what he is like with people who don’t want Israel to exist as a Jewish state. At one point, very frustrated, he even said “I feel bad for your teachers.” Another time a kid came to the front of the room and Greene said his posture looked “like a homeless man on a street corner.” Overall, he left me with an incredibly bad impression. I’m glad to know that others were also offended by his behavior (Bernard, great point about the NRA – I really did not go to the seminar hoping to hear something so out of context and personal), and I am curious to hear more student’s opinions.

Reply
  • T

Tiff FellowMar 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I found Richard Green to be condescending as he tried to impose his views during the seminar. I thought I was going to learn HOW to advocate for Israel. I did not go to listen to this man speak about how his views were certainly the best option to solve the issue in the middle east. Clearly this issue has not been solved due to its complex nature and this man acted as if he knew how to fix everything. If he were to speak again, he should not take a bias because the point was to learn Israel advocacy and not what this man thought was the only way to solve a complex issue.

Reply
  • B

Bernard FuchsMar 23, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I thought I signed up for a seminar about how to talk to people who dislike Israel, but what I actually signed up for was a class that was 1/3rd about how to do that, 1/3rd about how to give speeches, and 1/3 Richard Green’s personal political opinions, some of which weren’t even related to Israel. Also, I found what he said about the NRA to not only be inappropriate in the context of an Israel advocacy seminar, but also personally offensive to myself and other gun-owners.

Reply
  • D

Daniel KortMar 23, 2012 at 8:10 am

Greene’s dogma that Israel is the world’s most important human rights challenge is a clear violation of our school’s pluralism. Perhaps an introduction into why supporting Israel is important should have been given rather than immediately jumping to HOW to defend Israel. Consider this analogy:
    The KONY 2012 video garnered a lot of acclaim for its innovation in addressing the issues of Invisible Children. However, we now know that this video’s numbers were fabricated. Tiferet gave the students who attended this seminar irreversibly preconceived notions about Israel that neglected several perspectives. It’s a shame that our school has fallen victim to this political bias, and most of the school is blind to it.

Reply