The Milken Roar

Comments (34)

All The Milken Roar Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• A

ACaringStudentwhohatesbulliesFeb 13, 2012 at 11:00 am

I am not an avid ROAR reader. My opinion is that the ROAR writers should write whatever they have an interest in. The editor’s obviously have a certain say in what is published, but in the end if it is opinionated, they cannot just say no. As far as comments coming from anonymous sources go, I think that there is a difference between hostile attacks on certain people, and constructive criticism. As a milken student, people should have a certain amount of honor. As a community, Milken is based on certain pillars, and these pillars should be upheld not only at school , but in all aspects of our community.

Simply,

If you have something to say in order to help the ROAR, say it in order to help. If you are slinging crap in a hostile manner, have some self respect and discipline and leave it be.

While saying sticks and stones will break my bones is true, however words also hurt.

Reply
  • S

SammySosaLvr22Dec 16, 2011 at 9:00 pm

hey,

i think some female writers should write a different version of jake’s and jj’s article from the female perspective because I am assuming that most of the anonymous commenter that got offended were female. Even the odds. Peace!

Reply
  • A

AnonymousDec 14, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I get it, many people did prefer when the ROAR was on paper, but people who are not on the roar have no place making rude comments. The articles at the roar are well written, fun to read, and the rude, derailing comments are ruining the experience for those of us who just want to enjoy reading. I disagree, however, that we should not post comments under the name Anonymous, but it should not be used as a cover to hide behind because you are ashamed of what you say. If you have an opinion on how the ROAR could be better, talk to somebody on the Roar, instead of posting it online.

Reply
  • S

studentDec 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm

since when is it normal for a newspaper writer to rebuttal EVERY comment they get on their article. its quite rude and draws people away from reading anything they write. I recommend letting the public speak to each other without editorial interaction, your piece is being put out there solely for them in the long run anyway.

Reply
  • C

CmonDec 11, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Can’t we just have a HATERS GONNA HATE attitude about all of this?

Reply
  • J

jamesDec 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm

this publication has taken a turn for the worse- bring back todd duboff

Reply
  • E

EytanDec 8, 2011 at 8:51 am

I wish people were to take the Wildcat Weekly more seriously. That is also a GREAT place and source to get your news from at Milken and the world we live in. Thank you all! =)

Sincerely,
    Eytan Wallace

Reply
  • A

Alex P.Dec 7, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Leigh doesn’t have a malicious bone in her body. If you don’t like her articles, then don’t read them. Being spiteful is 100% unnecessary. By all means, share your opinions, but I invite everyone to do so in a kind manner. It breaks my heart to see how cruel and immature some anonymous individuals are. Every individual attending Milken is expected to embody good values (including generous hearts and kind souls). I can speak for any writer when I say that constructive criticism is always welcome– that is how writers improve. What’s absolutely unnecessary are the mean-spirited, vindictive comments. CLEARLY, Jake and JJ meant to be funny. I personally think they were funny. To suggest that they “encouraged child pornography” is ridiculous. If you have something against Jake or JJ or Leigh, confront them rather than hiding timidly behind namelessness.

To the ROAR Staff: You’re brave and honest and ready for the real world. <3

Reply
  • A

annaDec 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I think that this post was a good idea not just because Leigh stood up for the Roar’s beliefs. In my opinion, that was a wonderful article and really stressed the importance of safety on the internet. I also think this article did something new. People actually commented on articles and started discussions like a real news source! Can you have these debates with paper news? I think that more controversial articles like these should be written in the future to spark these non teacher forced discussions.

Reply
  • D

DanielDec 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm

@Ananamous,
    you’re a desperate catalyst..
    Great article.

Reply
  • L

Leigh JacobsonDec 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Dear guy from the internet,

My little sister may be in her first year at Milken, but I’m in my sixth, and I’ve been writing for the Roar for all six of those years. So I would know all about its quality over the years…which, in my opinion, has stayed at the same high level.

Leigh Jacobson
    Co-Editor-in-Chief

Reply
  • B

Britt JacobsonDec 7, 2011 at 8:50 pm

To all of those people who complain that the Roar isn’t great quality, I just want to say that I’m in seventh grade and can’t wait until I can join the Roar when I’m old enough. I enjoy reading the articles that are posted while I may disagree with what is being said in the article, it’s better to say it in a more respectful way. If you don’t like an article, why do you have to comment nasty things about it? Isn’t it better to give feedback to the writer than insult their work. I’m proud of all the Milken writers who, in my eyes, write very enjoyable and quality pieces. Good job sis! <3

Reply
  • C

Commentator #1Dec 7, 2011 at 8:47 pm

The Roar is a publication, meaning that it is public. If you want the Roar to be public, and the reader’s voices to be heard, you better prepare yourself for the good, and the bad. How dare you expect the readers of our publication to only give you praise, that’s just silly and presumptuous. The fact of the matter is, is that the Roar used to be a newspaper, printed, that printed stories that were relevant, interesting, newsworthy, had journalistic value, and not on frivolous topics. The Roar has degenerated into essentially being a blog where the “writers” write emotional peices about college admission with no fact and no reporting, its just makes the writers sound like pre-Madonnas, and the Roar look like a joke.

Reply
  • T

That guy from the internetDec 7, 2011 at 8:24 pm

One thing you must realize;
    The internet is the dark part of society. Most of its users frankly do not care about ‘being politically correct’, or ‘being polite’. That being said, the best thing to do is ignore it. If you acknowledge their attacks, they’ll become more frequent and more personal (yes, that is possible).

What you’ve just done is asked the internet to change, and i can promise you, it wont.

Reply
    • H

Harriet TubmanDec 7, 2011 at 8:41 pm

This is clearly Mikhail Noah

Reply
  • A

AnanamousDec 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm

The ROAR does many polls. Why don’t they do a poll as the following:

A. Do you like the ROAR as it is now online?

B. Do you wish/ did you like the ROAR was printed?

C. The quality of the Roar has gone down in the last couple of years

D. The quality of the Roar has gone up in the last couple of years

E. Answers ‘A’ and ‘D’

F. Answers ‘B’ and ‘C’

Reply
  • L

Leigh JacobsonDec 7, 2011 at 8:11 pm

^^^ Please see last line of article.
    …Really?

Reply
  • A

AnanamousDec 7, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Look people! Both writers on the roar and non writers, let me tell you that the writing on the roar has not only became much worse since it went online, but also no body expresses interest in it anymore! If only you went back to actual paper, then Milken could be proud of it and its writers and articles once again. Don’t give me that B.S argument with paperless and all because now that you went paperless, nobody likes the roar anymore. I wish what I was saying was not true because I hope for the best for the ROAR but in recent years, the ROAR and its staff don’t deserve any praise because of the actions they took to go online.

Reply
  • E

Ey DoeDec 7, 2011 at 8:03 pm

leighj that quality writer

Reply
  • M

Michael KesslerDec 7, 2011 at 7:49 pm

To respond to a couple comments:

MCHS student: As Leigh said in her comment, this article was entirely her idea and she was not asked to write this piece by anyone. Furthermore, while I respect your opinion that you think this article is pointless and I understand that giving these anonymous commenters attention is not necessarily the best thing we can do, this is an issue that pervades the internet to an extraordinary degree. The issues our site has had are only a small microcosm of a much large issue the internet as a whole is currently facing, and it is an issue that deserves attention and discussion.

Also, The Roar is not strictly news-oriented. We do of course have a news section that anchors the website as a whole, but it is only one of our five sections. Voices is a major element of The Roar and its articles make up an important aspect of our site. If you only want to read news articles, no one is stopping you from doing so, but just because a certain article does not appeal to you does not automatically make it pointless for everyone else.

Just a Commenter: I think something should be clarified here: Leigh nor anyone else on The Roar’s staff are against the critical comments we sometimes see on some of the more controversial articles. We accept and encourage these types of comments and love to see opposing viewpoints. What we are against, however, are comments that attack the writer and the site, comments which stretch beyond what is acceptable and tolerable. The issue is compounded by these commenters hiding behind the veil of internet anonymity, which unfortunately allows these immature individuals to face no consequences or accountability for their comments.

In fact, your comment itself is exactly what we love to see in comments that criticize an article: Controlled, mature, well-stated, and appropriate. I’m sure you’d agree that there is quite a sizable difference between your critical comment and the ones referenced in the article, and it is that difference which we hope to see eliminated in the future.

Michael Kessler
    Co-Editor-in-Chief

Reply
  • A

anonymousDec 7, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Fewer articles, better coverage – a plausible solution.
    Let’s forget about Spotlight Southern College Series and College Football, etc.
    I want the Roar to cover things that aren’t covered elsewhere: The Milken issues.
    Not empty global articles that bring nothing to the table of life. Plain and simply, I only read the articles by the journalists who I respect. Leigh is clearly one of them. Some of the writing on The Roar is poor, and I think we may begin to question who is an appropriate journalist. Let’s begin to restrict Roar writing privileges to those who prove excellence in expression of language.
    Some of the writers are just, well, bad.

Reply
  • J

Just a CommenterDec 7, 2011 at 7:21 pm

This is very well written and makes some good points, but I do think that there is something missing. Two things:

1) When a newspaper publishes an article and, underneath there article, is a section reserved for comments, the newspaper must be prepared to take the heat for the comments.

2) There were a lot of negative comments on the “Facebook Etiquette” article in question. Why is the ROAR attacking its commenters instead of perhaps assessing whether or not the content of the article was appropriate. If it were up to me, I would take a hint from the gist of the comments and

3) “If you’re brave enough to criticize the Roar…” Brave enough to criticize a newspaper? Should students and readers be interested and active in critiquing journalism? Isn’t that the responsible thing to do? Why do you need to be “brave” to criticize a newspaper? And who cares if it’s anonymous?

Great article though – really makes you think. Nice job, Leigh!

Reply
  • C

CelinaDec 7, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Honestly, I think we need to step back and look at the big picture. This was an opinion article
    based on the perspectives of JJ and Jake on Facebook. It was lighthearted and (from what I got) simply their way to shed some light on some social truths. Maybe it wasn’t strongly executed but that doesn’t deem it appropriate to anonymously attack fellow classmates, let alone your own school newspaper. Let’s face it, even The Harvard Crimson has it’s fair share of what you called “unintelligent” pieces. http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/4/28/nbsp-e-hot-s/

Reply
  • A

Avi Refael SholkoffDec 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm

GUYS ALL OF YOU POSTING UNDER ANONYMOUS!!!!!!!

Reply
  • N

Nate NourianDec 7, 2011 at 6:40 pm

What about my rampant commenting?

Reply
  • A

AnonymousDec 7, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Get it? im posting under anonymous. <3 leigh

Reply
  • H

HippopatamusDec 7, 2011 at 6:14 pm

How dare you attack Leigh. Leigh has done nothing wrong. The people are angry with jake and jj. Good article, the problem is people don’t agree with the first article….

Reply
  • L

Leigh JacobsonDec 7, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Dear MCHS student-

I was not told to write this article; I wrote it of my own accord because I felt the need to address an increasingly prevalent issue in Milken culture, and to defend the students on my staff from rude comments like yours. If you think that someone ordered me to do so, you clearly don’t know me too well or at all, since I’m hardly the one to invest time in an article (or really anything) that I don’t deem important.

And since, as you said, The Roar has the latest “M” news (really, you couldn’t just write Milken?), it is my job as one of the editors of this paper to incorporate articles that I see as part of that news. I am a bit perplexed as to what you mean by “you are playing their game and not MCHS”- first of all, that’s not even a complete sentence, and second of all, how am I playing a sort of game by condemning rude and hurtful attacks on The Roar’s staff? And if you’re concerned about me “giving those people who wrote hateful comments attention”, how is posting a comment such as yours any better? Who are you to speak?

And one word of advice. If you think an article is pointless, don’t read it. It’s really simple, actually. You click on another section, and read what you want to read. If you’re looking for news, click the section that, in large capital letters, says “NEWS”. In case you haven’t realized it by now, The Roar is split into different sections, and so not every section will contain a News piece. Deal.

Thanks for your input,
    Leigh Jacobson
    co-Editor-in-Chief

Reply
  • R

Rachel C.Dec 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm

As a writer for The Roar, I can vouch that some of the comments that we receive are actually really disheartening and offensive. No one was told to write this article and she is defending the writers. Just because you have the power of writing ‘anonymous’ does not mean you should abuse it. The people posting these articles have feelings and opinions of their own, people need to respect it

Reply
  • M

MCHS studentDec 7, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Leigh the only reason you are writing this is because you were told to do so. You are writing this so that the Roar can look like the good people. I am not saying roar is terrible. I love the roar b/c it has the last M news. There was no need to write this article because you are just bringing the comments back to life and you are giving those people who wrote those hateful comments attention. You are playing their game and not MCHS. THIS ARTICLE IS POINTLESS because no one cares what someone posted blah blah blah. just give us milken news. if thats too hard STEP DOWN.

Reply
  • M

Milken StudentDec 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I want to commend Leigh Jacobson for fully standing behind her staff during moments of criticism. I would also like to point out the fact that The Roar accepts articles from non-staffed students or should I say – journalists. This truly proves that old saying that the best kind of news is always controversial; But if something that was written evoked some sort of anger within you, take advantage of the fact you do have the opportunity to voice your opinion in a professional and hopefully mature nature.

Reply
  • A

AnonymousDec 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Would love to see some context (ie the article that the comments were posted on).

Reply
  • A

AnonymousDec 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm

This article doesn’t make room for the little guys whose names actually are anonymous!

Reply
  • A

Avi Refael SholkoffDec 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm

If you comment on articles I think you should put your first, middle, and last name

Reply